Monday, April 6, 2009

I have a preschooler!

My baby is a preschooler as of March 16th. She moved up into preschool and has done very well. She has been ready for months now, but they had to wait til she was 3 for ratio purposes. Anyhow, she loves it...I'm still a bit overwhelmed, but I've already seen great changes in her...positive ones. While I've also seen a bit of an increase in negative behaviors, I'm handling those as they come.

She turned 3 on March 7th. I thought this was a great year for her to have her first party with friends. We had it on the 28th at a dance studio. She had 5 friends show up and it was a fantastic time.

Photobucket

I told the parents that gifts weren't necessary because I thought them showing up was gift enough...but they all brought something. Very nice of them. I felt like the money I spent on it was worth it...and so exciting seeing my child playing with other kids not next to them like she would've been doing a year ago. I love it!

Photobucket

Photobucket

She LOVED this teaset!
Photobucket

Ky is such a smarty pants too. She's going to be receiving ELI instead of daycare assistance, which is just a form of assistance for preschoolers, ensuring that despite having low-income parents, they are better prepared for kindergarten. So Ky had to take an assessment where she looked at a picture of something (since she can't read yet) and had to pick from 3 other pictures the one that matched with the main one. They do as many as they can in 2 minutes...and she got 100% correct in two minutes. We rhyme a lot at home.
She also was taught a child abuse prevention program (CAPP). I'm trained to teach it to 1st and 3rd graders, but I would have had to do a separate pre-K training, so I haven't done it yet. Anyhow, at that age it's about naming private body parts, and safe and unsafe touches. We have always taught her the proper names for body parts, so that's just review for her. However, we always called a butt "butt", while they teach them "buttocks". Apparently this word is hilarious, because she will say it over and over and over again, laughing after each time. Well one day we were on the couch and she started talking about body parts. So I asked her what private body parts she had, she said "buttocks (insert laughter here) and vagina" so then I asked her what other body part to girls have that boys don't? and she said "brains" LMAO! She's definitely a smart cookie haha. I don't know where that came from, but it's true ;) Vic didn't like that very much though!

I love her so much. She is a really great kid and sometimes I take that for granted...like when she drives me nuts. But all her teachers speak so highly of her. Her one pre-k teacher said "I wish we had a room full of Kylianas", how flattering :). She's also doing very well at recognizing and attempting to draw her letters. She's been able to recognize K's for quite some time because she knows that's what her name starts with, but she's getting more and more under her belt. She can recognize all her #s 1-10 thanks to us letting her set the microwave all the time haha. She's been able to spell her name for a while now, so the next step is writing it!!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space